Monday, November 22, 2010

Home Is Where the Heart Is.

I'm home!! This Thanksgiving, I'm giving thanks for Thanksgiving. That's right. Giving thanks for the actual holiday. Why? Because without it I wouldn't be sitting in the Starbucks at Beach and Chapman, waiting for my brother to finish his Kumon. (by the way: the smell of starbucks makes me SO happy.. downside: you literally smell like this for the rest of the day.) There are very few things that do it for me quite like California does.

In other news, I got a job! Ever heard of the text company ChaCha? Well if you haven't: this is how it works. You send any question you have to 242-242. You can ask anything from movie times, to relationship advice, to what a turduckin is if you're not sure. (turduckin: a duck stuffed inside of a chicken, stuffed inside of a turkey. yum.) ChaCha has a couple thousand people looking up answers on their computers, and they text the response back to you. Well guess what! I'm officially a question-answerer! It's super fun! It's not the highest paying job, but the fact that I get to work from my computer whenever I want trumps that.

You know when people always say that you are just like your mom? And it's not always the best thing? Well recently I've decided to start documenting all of the things that I do that are like my mom.. and while some people might be bothered by it, I found it to be a rather humorous list. So here we go:

1. I plan my entire Christmas gift-giving list by mid November. It's on a spreadsheet on my computer- don't you dare try to look it up and find out what it says, though. One year I snuck onto my mom's computer and looked at the list- it wasn't a great idea. Mom found out, all hell broke loose, and ever since I don't open up ANYTHING on my mom's computer, assuming she lets me touch it.

2. I get extremely excited when the bag I'm checking to fly only weighs 46 pounds, because then I know I can shop for up to 4 pounds of things and still make it on safely when I fly back.

3. I was secretly excited to go with her to pick out a table display for the Christmas party at Church.

4. After about 12 pm, everything gets about 10 times funnier. The only difference between me and my mom is, this happens to her sometime around 8 pm. Okay maybe 9, but definitely by 9 pm.

5. I tell myself I'm just going to run into Target for a few minutes, and walk out an hour later with at least 2 things I didn't plan on buying.

6. The other day I dropped the phrase "In your true heart of hearts." This one is the only one on the list that discourages me.. my mom likes to use that phrase, but I hate it with a firey burning passion. And now I'm casually saying it.

7. I care just as much about how the present is wrapped as what is inside it. I want a bow that is flat on the bottom, and coordinates nicely with the mega cute wrapping paper.

Well what can I say, I am my mother's daughter.

1 comment:

  1. OKAY Holly you crack me up beyond belief! And the sad thing is that I see myself in your list as well so I guess our moms raised us very similarly but since they hang out so much (or Used to :( )I guess that makes quite a bite of sense. And the comment about how Wendy finds EVERYTHING funnier after 8 pm (and it is for sure 8 pm) is SOOOO TRUE!!!

    ReplyDelete